|Contributors:||Pierantoni, Giovanni||Title:||Sarcophagus of Helen||Start date:||300||End date:||399||Historical Period:||Early Byzantine/Late Antique Period||Description:||
Red porphyry sarcophagus which is believed to have held the remains of Helena, mother of Constantine the Great. On the coffin there are some soldiers on horseback and barbarian prisoners. On the lid of the sarcophagus cupids and victories hold garlands. The sarcophagus was located in the Imperial mausoleum at Tor Pignattara, between the via Prenestina and the via Labicana outside Rome. In 1777 it was brought into the Vatican and restored by Gaspare Sibilla and Giovanni Pierantoni and mounted on four lions carved by Francesco Antonio Franzoni.
|Place:||Vatican Museums, Vatican City||Languages:||No linguistic content; Not applicable||Medium:||porphyry||Project:||BYZART Project||Fond:||UNIBO Europeana Archaeology||Physical type:||sarcophagi (coffins)||Material and technique:||carving (processes)||Data provider:||University of Bologna||License:|
|Appears in Collections:||BYZART|
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.