|Authors:||Minas||Title:||Holy Bishopric of Morphou: St Prochoros, Church of the Archangel Michael in Pedoulas||Start date:||1474||End date:||1474||Historical Period:||Late Byzantine Period||Description:||
Prochoros had been one of the seven deacons of the first Christian church. On top of his head, one may discern the tonsure, the circular bald spot. From his right shoulder hangs a light brown orarium, a distinctive feature of the attire of deacons, where the trisagios hymn is inscribed. On the right hand, he holds a ciborium. Of note is the decorative element along the band of Prochoros' collar. The zone beneath the deacons, attached to the ground, is ornamented mainly with red crosses against a white background within a frame of opulent, symmetrically arranged leave-shaped decoration.
|Place:||Archángelos Michaíl, Cyprus||Languages:||No linguistic content; Not applicable||Medium:||paint (coating)||Project:||BYZART Project||Fond:||OUC Bank of Cyprus Cultural Foundation||Physical type:||mural paintings (visual works)||Material and technique:||painting (image-making)||Data provider:||Open University of Cyprus||License:||All rights reserved||Rights holder:||Holy Bishopric of Morphou|
|Appears in Collections:||BYZART|
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.