|Title:||Department of Antiquities Republic of Cyprus, Kyrenia, Church of Saint George in the Castle, view of the church||Start date:||700||End date:||1199||Historical Period:||Middle Byzantine Period||Description:||
Department of Antiquities Republic of Cyprus, Kyrenia, Church of Saint George in the Castle. Cross-in-a-square church with a dome which rests on four marble columns instead of stone piers. The Saint George Church was built in the 12th century. The church which had originally been outside the Castle in both the Byzantine and Lusignan periods, was later enveloped by the new walls into the Castle in the Venetian period. Part of the opus sectile of church floor has survived to this day.
|Place:||Froúrio Kyrineías, Cyprus||Languages:||No linguistic content; Not applicable||Medium:||stone (worked rock)||Project:||BYZART Project||Fond:||OUC Department of Antiquities Republic of Cyprus||Physical type:||churches (buildings)||Material and technique:||stonemasonry||Data provider:||Open University of Cyprus||License:||All rights reserved|
|Appears in Collections:||BYZART|
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.